Building A Sales Team as You Scale
This blog has been originally published on the Remote First Recruiting site
As your remote company scales, building a strong sales team becomes a crucial step towards driving revenue and expanding your reach. To ensure success, it's important to identify the key characteristics you should look for in your remote team members and determine which sales roles to prioritize.
Let's dive into the essential qualities and roles that will set the foundation for your rockstar sales team.
QUALITIES TO LOOK FOR
- Adaptability: In the dynamic world of remote work, adaptability is a non-negotiable trait. Look for candidates who can quickly adjust to changing circumstances, embrace new technologies, and thrive in a remote environment. They should be self-motivated, autonomous, and capable of finding creative solutions to challenges.
- Excellent Communication Skills: Remote sales teams heavily rely on effective communication to collaborate and connect with clients. Seek out team members who possess exceptional verbal and written communication skills. They should be able to articulate ideas clearly, actively listen, and build rapport effortlessly.
- Self-Motivation and Discipline: Without constant supervision, remote sales professionals must be self-driven and disciplined. Look for individuals who can manage their time effectively, set goals, and stay motivated even when working independently. A proactive and results-oriented mindset is essential for success. They should be able to effectively build out and manager their pipeline, utilize CRMs and prospecting tools and constantly be tweaking and adjusting their email copy for the best open rates and outcomes.
- Relationship Building: The ability to build strong relationships with clients is a cornerstone of successful sales. Look for team members who are empathetic, personable, and possess exceptional interpersonal skills. They should be able to establish trust, understand customer needs, and nurture long-term partnerships. No car salesmen here- we’re building relationships and clients need to be able to easily trust these team members.
- Technical Proficiency: In a remote sales environment, proficiency in technology is vital. Seek candidates who are comfortable using CRM software, video conferencing tools, and other sales-related technologies. They should be able to adapt quickly to new tools and leverage them to maximize efficiency. Ask them which tools they are currently using, and what their comfort level or expertise is with each of them.
SALES ROLES TO HIRE FOR
- Sales Development Representatives (SDRs): When scaling your remote sales team, consider hiring Sales Development Representatives (SDRs) as one of the initial roles. SDRs focus on prospecting, lead generation, and qualifying potential customers. They lay the foundation for your sales pipeline, identifying and nurturing leads before passing them to Account Executives.
- Account Executives: As your sales team expands, it's crucial to hire skilled Account Executives who can manage client relationships, negotiate deals, and close sales. These individuals are responsible for driving revenue and meeting sales targets. Look for experienced sales professionals with a proven track record in your industry.
Building a successful remote sales team requires careful consideration of the key characteristics and roles that will contribute to your company's growth.
Seek individuals who are adaptable, possess excellent communication skills, are self-motivated, and excel at relationship building. Consider hiring Sales Development Representatives (SDRs) and Account Executives to establish a strong sales foundation.
By focusing on these essential qualities and roles, you'll be well on your way to scaling your remote company with a high-performing sales team.
READY TO BUILD YOUR SALES TEAM?
Strategize with our team and see how we can help you hire quickly.
(recruiting account manager)
Featured Remote Jobs